Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book No. 39.



Flag Day
 was published in 1965, five years before our school opened. It's from a different era and a different way of thinking. The sense of patriotism present within the book is, in my opinion, almost unfamiliar to the generation reading it now.

To quote the opening:

To an American, his flag is one of the most beautiful sights he can see.
To an American who loves his country, every day is a flag day.


Have we lost our sense of patriotism? I know this book is dated. It refers only to significant male figures. It only represents one race (and they all seem to be really, really happy). And yet, I feel a sadness when I read it, like I'm missing something.

Contemplative.

- Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...