Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 1: Explorer: The Hidden Doors , The Lost Islands, and The Mystery Boxes

So I cheated and started reading yesterday during my hall duty for STAAR testing and picked up three graphic novel collections edited by Kazu Kibuishi. (You know- the awesome author of the Amulet series?)

Each book contains seven different stories created by seven different authors/illustrators.  The interesting thing about each collection is that they are centered around the title.  For instance, each story in Hidden Doors, revolves around finding or utilizing a hidden door.  The thing that struck me with this first collection is that each story read like fable or a moralistic story.  This collection would be great for teaching students about theme! Plus, you could have them write their own comic about a hidden door!

The best thing about Explorers: The Lost Islands was finding a short by my favorite graphic novelist Raina Telgemeier!  Plus, if you only read one story out of this one, you should read Carapace by Jason Caffoe, I loved the camaraderie in that one!

My favorite collection, even though I haven't finished it yet, is Explorer: The Mystery Boxes. These tales are more on the dark side.

Great graphic novel set for those who aren't sure what to read- it might lead you to a full book by one of the authors inside! I just realized the first short in The Boxes is by Emily Carroll who has another creepy read called "Through the Woods" which I also recommend!


Hoorary for some interesting reads I wouldn't normally pick up! (Because I don't like short stories!) Can't wait to see what I'm reading tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...