Sunday, April 12, 2015

Day 11 - Mouse Guard Winter 1152


Day 11- Mouse Guard by David Peterson

So, I attempted reading this a few years ago and I didn't like it, but yesterday when I picked it up for the shelf challenge and read it with my 6 year old-- she and I both were enraptured! The eloquent writing style hooked us and the detailed illustrations had us up past bedtime.  These brave Mice are met with a murderous owl, a den of mice bones, whispering bats, and a traitorous mouse who attempts poisoning the entire village.  

The imagery is quite gruesome and the action is very violent, but we still enjoyed the story nonetheless! I have to admit that reading this after ChocoMimi is mind boggling. The shelf challenge has really been amazing and showcasing the depth and vast differences in the writing styles and illustrations of graphic novels.  I thoroughly appreciate the world that Petersen has built for these little mice and I think this is a good starter for children who will grow up to be fans of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

But my favorite thing? The bunnies that the mice ride like horses!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...