Friday, April 17, 2015

Day 17 Little White Duck

Sorry for missing a few days, but I was at TLA conference in Austin! Fun times!

Today, I read Little White Duck: A Childhood in China by Na Liu and Andres Vera Martinez (who interestingly enough met in Austin, TX! Weird coincidence!)



This graphic novel memoir is told as 8 short stories, but it felt fluid enough for me to be written as eight chapters in one book about growing up in China during the time of Mao.  I love reading snapshots of time periods and cultures like this although I felt this book ended too abruptly.  

While reading, I thought about how I'd love to gather a collection of graphic novels centered around childhood and use them as the basis of researching different cultures (Including the culture of grief, toothloss or teendom.)

Other great graphic memoirs could include: 

I'm going to keep thinking about this list and adding to it.  I feel a great research project coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...