Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 2: Brain Camp by Kim, Klavan, Hicks

One thing I love about the Shelf Challenge is being exposed to books I would normally not pick up.  I have to say that Brain Camp was a strange yet entertaining read!  At first I felt the story was disjointed, but then quickly realized that everything at "Brain Camp" was not what it seemed! This G.N. reads almost like a teenage version of the The Stepford Wives! This book took the camp catchphrase "Don't drink the Koolaid" to a whole new level.

This camp for wayward teens turns into a horror story. My curiosity was piqued on the second page and my gag reflex was tested a few times. This book is not for the faint of heart!  Great and disturbing read for middle grade and YA readers!

The art by Faith Erin Hicks is one of my favorite graphic novel drawing styles. Not too cartoony and not too realistic.  It reminded me a lot of my faves graphic novels like Scott Pilgrim and @GoRaina! I know there is a technical term for this style, but the word escapes me right now! When I tried to look it up, I found this excellent article by Raina Telgemeier about "How a Graphic Novel is Born (and Raised)" Plus, now that I looked up @FaithErinHicks on Twitter, I realized she wrote Adventures of Superhero Girl which is one of my favorite graphic novels of 2013!! Man, I'm loving the Shelf Challenge this year! I'm making so many great G.N. connections!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...