Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 21. Moonsong Lullaby

Book 78.
I've come across a lot of books circa my childhood and it's sparked a lot of introspection. Moonsong Lullaby, in particular, has caused me to think a lot about the Native American peoples of North America. There are few chapters in America's brief history more tragic or shameful. I suppose that's what makes books such as Moonsong Lullaby so important.

Picture books help us understand one another and ourselves. They are windows of truth with messages not to be taken for granted. As we become further and further removed from elder cultures, picture books can help us remember, preserve, and protect history. But in all of my ramblings, I still can't shake the feeling that I'm not working hard enough in my library to educate my students on the lives and culture of the Native American peoples.

It's something I can certainly work to improve.

- Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...