Thursday, April 5, 2012

Book No. 22.

Three classic poems by Edward Lear including The New Vestments,
The Owl and the Pussycat,
 and The Pelican Chorus.
April is National Poetry Month. What better time to introduce students to the zany, ridiculous, and sometimes absurd works of Edward Lear?!

I'm not exactly sure why this book is shelved in our Everybody Section, but I'm glad I found it! I hadn't read The New Vestment before and now I'm excited to share it with my students. As if inspired by Emperor's New Clothes, an old man wishes to have a purely original dress and so a team of tailors create an outfit of a loaf of bread, dead mice, animal skins, pork chops, jujubes, pancakes, biscuits, and cabbage.
We've all experienced that moment when a good idea goes sour.

Unfortunately for him, the beasts, birds, and boys of the town did him in.

In a work too hilarious to miss, this looked over gem is going to get a lot of attention this month!

- Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...