Monday, April 4, 2016

Day Two, Three, and Four- Ah, the weekend.



Well, the weekend came and went, and here are the three books I chose off of Shelf B.

  • Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt ( a reread for me)
  • Ring of Fire (Century Quartet #1) by P.D. Baccalario
  • The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann
Let's start with the book that I read, many, many years ago while perusing the shelves in a very dusty, rural public library. It was my diamond-in-the-rough discovery, and I'm glad to say that I enjoyed it just as much as I did then. Although, being a parent always changes how I read stories- much like crying at the reading/sight of Molly Weasley protecting her daughter in the Harry Potter series. With that said, Tuck Everlasting is a good classic for readers who are fond of historical fiction or even The Giver by Lois Lowry. I loved it the second time because it asked big questions without being overly didactic. 

Every year I reread The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart because I love it. It's the book I compare every "four or five kids meet mysteriously and are catapulted into an adventure" story as well, and it's a hard act to follow. The first book in the series reminded of the Da Vinci Code, with it's running through the streets of Rome...and yes, I did have to consult a map a few times. Good for readers who like super-adventures and keep up with the dizzying array of characters.

And last, but not least is The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann. Half way through this book I had to look up the author, because he seemed very British. And a hasty internet search later revealed that he had indeed started the book when he was 16, wow, and was not British, darn. Good, great, and awesome. I will be looking for the rest of the series next year, for sure. Fun and memorable. 

I've loved seeing everyone's shelves on Twitter, and I can't wait to share my student's shelves very soon. Just to let you guys know I'll be posting 3 books on Monday since I'll be with my family on the weekends. 

Until tomorrow,
Kristi










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...